- Erasing your information
- You have the right to request that MTN erase your Personal Data if it is no longer valid or necessary for the purposes for which it was collected or if it is incomplete or inaccurate.
- Receiving your information
You have the right to receive your Personal Data in a commonly used and machine-readable format and the right to transmit these data to another Data Controller when the processing is based on (explicit) consent or when the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract.
10.1 Accessing and Changing Your Information
You can review the information You provide to Us and make any desired changes to the information You have provided. Please be aware that even after Your request for a change is processed, MTN may, for a time, retain residual information about You in its backup and/or archival copies of its database.
10.2 Direct Marketing
You have the right to choose whether You receive marketing material or not. By accepting using Our products and services, You are also agreeing to MTN sending You marketing material on related services, products and offerings provided from MTN from time to time. If You change Your mind at any time, You are always able to opt-out.
We do comply with applicable provisions of the Nigerian Communications Commission’s Guidelines and relevant Consumer Protection regulations on direct marketing.
10.3 Deletion or destruction of Your Information and Period of Retention
10.3.1 You may request that we delete and destroy any of Your Personal Information provided that Your relationship with MTN has been appropriately terminated.
10.3.2 MTN will, however, retain and use Your Personal Information in accordance with applicable laws for retention of data, for as long as is necessary to provide You with Our services and comply with legal and business obligations, resolution of disputes and enforcement of this Notice among others.
10.4 Transfer and storage of Personal Information across borders
- You understand that MTN may be required to host, process, transfer and store Your Personal Information in other countries for business purposes which could include giving effect to a third-party contract for Your benefit or Your protection.
- MTN shall ensure that the countries have adequate data protection laws, corporate security policies, procedures and standards to adequately protect Your Personal Information as prescribed by NITDA.
- Your Personal Information shall be stored in Oracle Advanced Security Transparent Data Encryption format using Generally Accepted International Security Standards (ISO).
- Your Personal Information shall be subject to the Nigerian Data Protection Regulation 2019 (as may be amended from time to time) and any other applicable Data Protection Regulation.
10.5 Right to withdraw consent
You have a right to withdraw Your consent at any time without affecting the lawfulness of Your information received and processed by MTN in line any legal obligation or prior to Your withdrawal of consent.
10. 6 Reporting incidents
In the event of a privacy breach, MTN shall report such breach to the relevant authority and if necessary, affected individuals of personal data breach (where the personal data breach will likely result in high risks to the freedoms and rights of the data subject) within reasonable time of being aware of the breach.
MTN shall take steps to investigate and recover personal data. MTN will also ensure that controls are enhanced to prevent a re-occurrence of the breach.
You have a right to lodge a complaint before an appropriate authority for any breach of Your rights.
Kindly notify Us:
- If You believe Your MTN platform via website and/or mobile application or subscription account to MTN products and services has been compromised.
- If You have been contacted by someone via email or SMS about Your MTN websites, mobile applications, products and services account asking for a password, birth date or other personal or company information.
- If You believe Your Personal Information has been used for fraudulent activity.
- If You are a member of the security community and need to report a technical vulnerability.
- If You have any other enquiry relating to information privacy and security.