MTN Voice over LTE (VoLTE) service
Never miss out on a good voice call with the Voice over LTE (VoLTE) service.
VoLTE capability enables you to make very clear voice calls with reduced background noise on the 4G LTE network. It also allows you to continue internet usage on the phone whilst making a phone call at the same time without any interruptions.
So, if you’re using your earpiece or your phone is on speaker, you can chat away while you are also surfing the net and carrying out downloads.
VoLTE is now available for the following selected devices:
|Tecno||Phantom X||Camon 17 / 17p / 17 Pro||Camon 19/ 19 Pro/ 19 Pro 5G||Pova 2||Spark 7 / 7T / 7 Pro||Spark 8 / 8 Pro / 8c||Spark 9/ 9T/ 9 Pro|
|Infinix||Zero X / X Pro||Note 10 / 10 Pro||Hot 10s/ 10 Play|
|Apple||iPhone 7/7 Plus||iPhone 8/8 Plus||iPhone X, Xs, Xs Max and Xr||iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max||iPhone 12/12 mini/12 Pro/12 Pro Max||iPhone 13/13 mini/13 Pro/13 Pro Max||iPhone SE 2nd Gen||iPhone SE 3rd Gen|
All you have to do is update your phone’s software to get started and enjoy the VoLTE service. See the steps below to update your software.
See steps to update your software below.
If you would like to find out more, please browse through the FAQs below:
Frequently Asked Questions
A. VoLTE stands for Voice Over LTE while LTE is Long Term Evolution which is basically the fourth-generation global wireless communication standard network that delivers the fastest mobile Internet experience.
With MTN VoLTE service capability, you can make clear voice calls with reduced background noise that makes even the furthest of persons sound right next to you.
A. With VoLTE, you will enjoy very clear voice calls and shorter call set-up time. In addition, you will also be able to with reduced background noise – while also being able to use mobile data at 4G speed even during phone calls.
A. You will need the following:
- A 4G SIM and a 4G smartphone.
- Be in an area where 4G Network is available
- All customers with eligible devices + SIM must restart their devices to complete the provisioning process for the MTN VoLTE service.
Note that for now, VoLTE service is only available to some devices. See the questions below for the list of eligible devices.
A. All MTN subscribers with VoLTE compatible smartphones listed above.
A. If you have a compatible device, you will need to do the following:
- Update your device to the latest OS version
- Enable “VoLTE” or “4G’ calling settings on your phone.
- Restart your phone to complete the provisioning process
- For Apple, update to the latest iOS 15.5, restart, and turn on VoLTE on
A. For now, only the Smartphone models listed below will be eligible for the VoLTE service:
- Tecno Phantom X
- Infinix Zero X
- Infinix Zero X Pro
- Tecno Camon 17 Pro
- Tecno Camon 17p
- Tecno Pova2
- Tecno Spark 8
- Tecno Spark 8pro
- Tecno Spark 8c
- Tecno Camon 17
- Tecno Spark 7 Pro
- Tecno Spark 7
- Tecno Spark 7t
- Infinix Note 10 Pro
- Infinix Note 10
- Infinix Hot 10s
- Infinix Hot 10 Play 64+4
- Spark 9/9T/9 Pro
- Camon 19/19 Pro/19 Pro 5G
- Hot 12/12i/12 Play/12 Pro
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: All models listed in Apple website except A1660 and A1661
- iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X: All models listed in Apple website except A1863, A1864 and A1865
- iPhone Xs, Xs Max and Xr: All models listed in Apple website
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max: All models listed in Apple website
- iPhone 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max: All models listed in Apple website
- iPhone 13, 13 mini, 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max: All models listed in Apple website
- iPhone SE 2nd Gen: All models listed in Apple website
- iPhone SE 3rd Gen: All models listed in Apple websit
We plan to make the service available to more devices as soon as possible.
- Go to Settings
- Select SIM & Network settings
- Select the MTN SIM and scroll down to “Preferred network type”
- Select 2G/3G/4G auto as the preferred network type.
- Toggle on “4G Calling”
- Restart your device to complete the provisioning process to start making VoLTE calls.
- Go to phone settings
- Then go to system
- Then go to system update
- Choose online update
- The software would download, and the phone would restart
After the phone restarts, go through the same process until there is no more software to update.
- Go to Settings
- Click on “General”
- Click on “Software update” to download and install any available update.
Once this has been done, kindly follow the steps below to enable VoLTE
- Go to Settings
- Select “Mobile Data”
- Select “Mobile Data Options”
- Click on “Voice & Data”
- Turn on “VoLTE”
- Click “OK” on the pop-up message that appears on the screen and VoLTE will be enabled on your iPhone
A. The VoLTE icon next to the network signal indicator will remain visible on the screen during the call and/or “HD” will appear next to the call timer while on the call.
A. Your number has been specially provisioned for VoLTE and the service is currently only available to Tecno Phantom X and Infinix Zero X and Infinix Zero X Pro.
Simply restart your device afterwards to complete the provisioning process.
A. There is no extra cost for making VoLTE calls. VoLTE calls will be charged at your normal tariff plan rate.
A. No. Both the caller and the recipient must be on the MTN network, have VoLTE compatible smartphones and SIMs and have restarted their devices.
A. No. 4G network coverage is one of the prerequisites to enjoying the VoLTE service.
A. No. VoLTE allows you to continue using your data while you are on a voice call – without any interruptions.
A. No, you don’t. You can make VoLTE calls with or without data.
A. If this happens, the call automatically switches to a 3G voice call without being interrupted. But it means that you will not be able to continue using your data while you are on your call.
A. Yes, you can opt-out of the VoLTE service at any time by texting “NOVOLTE” to 131.